Monday, January 19, 2009

Shake the Blues Away in Chicago

Only in a truly fabulous city can you start the weekend in a terrible mood, convinced that a good portion of the people in this world are inherently bad, and end the weekend feeling hopeful, the blues having been charmed away.

It started Friday night at Kingston Mines, one of Chicago’s great live music venues. Egged on by the emcee’s cheers for Chicago’s pride and joy – “Can I get a yeah for Obama?!” – I danced and danced, the steady bass my lead, the electric riff my motivation. Jake accompanied me on the floor, likely out of pity (albeit well-concealed pity), just so I didn’t have to dance alone. With good friends at my side, I felt loved, and felt great joy in my heart for those around me.

This feeling continued Saturday afternoon at Doug’s house in Lincoln Park, where I found the host drunk and disproportionately happy. Grilling one turkey outside and roasting another inside, Doug entertained a few of us with hilarious stories and inappropriate jokes. The thing I love about Doug is his simple sense of purpose. Only Doug could host a Thanksgiving dinner in January for no other reason but his everlasting love of good food and good friends. By the time I left, I had laughed my way to contentment.

Saturday night hit a peak more than ninety stories above Chicago, at the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock Building. Always touristy, but surprisingly charming, my friends and I sipped cocktails, pretending our lives were more glamorous than they are, watching the world glitter below. It reminded me of the nights I gazed at Seoul behind the glass of Namsan Tower, enthralled by the lights and activity below. Above the city like that, I felt there was nowhere else I’d rather be but Chicago.

In big-city fashion, I followed the lofty Signature Lounge with a stop at the very grounded Map Room in Bucktown. A true neighborhood corner bar, the Map Room boasts map-papered walls, shelf after shelf of National Geographics, and the best imported beer in town. I chatted the rest of the night away with Christine, Doug, and Safet. A tasty framboise in hand, surrounded by a refreshingly impartial crowd, I felt totally satisfied.

Sunday rounded out the weekend with some pleasant surprises. The afternoon was sunny, so even though I had to work, the views from my office were beautiful, and happily reminded me of the night before. For dinner, my friend Matt took me out for Korean barbecue, where we reminisced about living and traveling abroad. Always down for something exciting, Matt suggested we follow dinner with salsa dancing at the Cubby Bear. It turned out to be a memorable night of dance lessons and Latin rhythms. I went home feeling as though I’ve only just begun to discover Chicago’s fun.

Now the weekend has ended, and even though I made little progress on anything of consequence, I’m in high spirits. I’m in a better place than at the beginning of the weekend, convinced I have the best friends in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment