Friday, January 9, 2009

Get to the Point at Danny's

There are few things more irritating than a putz. Hemming and hawing, every decision is dramatic yet unbelievably lacking in exigency. A putz is complacent, free from the agony of passion without an outlet. They lack agency and watch opportunity pass them by.

Personally, I am far too impatient to waste time deciding how I feel about things. Most often, I am lucky enough to feel immediately and have a hard time understanding those who can’t even identify their feelings. Maybe this is a bit judgmental, and I try to be conscious of this flaw. Nevertheless, my appreciation runs deep for all things straightforward.

One of those straightforward things especially close to my heart is Chicago’s best hangout, Danny’s. Every night is bettered by a stop to Danny’s.

Situated around a quiet corner just off Damen, it’s a bar in a house, barely recognizable but for the Schlitz sign and thumping base. Inside, its unpolished wood floors creak with the weight of the dancing crowd, tables strewn about, candles lighting the place here and there. Reminiscent of the best house parties in college, Danny’s drinks are cheap, its air thick, its energy contagious, and its music fantastic.

Danny’s gets to the point. From the no-BS bouncer to its minimal decoration, Danny’s seems to say, “I am a bar. You can dance. You can talk. You can do whatever you want. And then some.” At the same time, Danny’s has the uncanny ability to keep away the duders, sorostitutes, and wannabes. It is the most wonderful filter for those of us who absolutely love Danny’s. You either love it or you hate it, and if you’re not sure, don’t bother, there’s a line.

In a world suffocated by insecurities, Danny’s is a refreshing escape. It seems like everyone these days is in the middle of an identity crisis – insecure, unsure, afraid to make a move, and too complacent to chase what really matters. Danny’s knows what it is. It encourages those who know who they are and what they want.

I love Danny’s because it makes me feel like myself. I love Danny’s because I feel satisfied – like I’ve just made a series of decisions with rewarding outcomes. I love Danny’s because I can end any night there and feel fantastic. I love Danny’s for its lack of pretension. I love Danny’s because it is everything I love about Chicago.

1 comment: